Monday, September 5, 2011

The Story of How I Still Have My Ring Finger


We made it past September 1st! That means Bryan's wicked new insurance will cover the pregnancy! Please pause for a moment while I do a happy dance.

...

Okay.

You're welcome for this nicer weather, by the by. I asked my doctor to please lower the temperature because I just can't handle any more of this crazy heat, and apparently she's God, because it happened. I've learned my lesson, though. Next time we're gonna plan this better and try real hard to avoid being in my third trimester in July and August in Texas.

38 weeks down!
2 to go.

My doctor is pretty sure I'll make it all the way to (and probably past) my due date, but still, just a couple more weeks of none of my clothes fitting and getting stuck on the couch like a turtle on it's shell.

I had to get my ring cut off last week. It was a sad moment, but I did get to see a fire truck up close, so that was neat. 

This is K. Hargrove with his tool *snicker*. You know, his ring cutter. I didn't think to ask what the "K" stood for. Probably Kevin. He looks like a Kevin. 

So it begins. 

 Action shot! I've never seen a ring cutter before. It's basically a mini-saw that he had to crank.

Close-up action shot!  There were 3 people pulling my finger in different directions.

Sad. But also happy, because I still have a finger. Also, Kevin was really nice and helpful.

And this is my battle wound:
It looks worse than it felt. My doctor said that my hands could swell even MORE (wtf?), so since I already couldn't get my ring off we had to cut it. It seems silly that I let it get this far, but I never ever take my ring off. Not to sleep, shower, wash my hands, never. I guess I'm just more committed to my marriage than you are. It wasn't until it got to be 6000 degrees this Summer in my third trimester that I realized that my ring was stuck. 

Since it was SO WEIRD not having a ring on, I made one.
Don't judge mah pudgy fangers. If YOU were pregnant, YOURS would be pudgy too. Don't worry though, this ring is elastic and comes off very easily.

So, word to the wise my pregnant friends, get your ring off before your fingers swell in your third tri! Otherwise you have to get it cut, which is sad. Also, you have to pay to get it re-soldered. Boo.

In other pregnant news, I finally packed my hospital bag. I guess that means I'm ready. Oh, and I bought my first tube of nipple cream, so I guess that means I'm a grown woman.

3 comments:

  1. I'm SOOOO glad you have insurance! I was just talking to one of my friends that had their child 2 months early due to an emergency C-section. Their daughter had 2 knots in the cord and it was wrapped around her head. After much time in the NICU she's doing great. It would have cost them around $100,000; instead their insurance covered it and they only had to pay their $500 co-pay.

    I almost had a similar ring problem but Morgan magically got the ring off my finger. We went and bought a cheap ring from Target for me to wear for the rest of the pregnancy (and the next pregnancy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awesome and u crack me up. I read that last part to Robert, and he's like "why does she need nipple cream??" lol. boys have no clue. I can't wait to see Mylo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sad about the ring but you look great! and it's a relief to get insurance! every one of my chemo sessions is $1600 and I haven't paid a dime!!!

    just wanted to check in and say hi. found something for Mylo at an art fair in Hermosa Beach last weekend. can't wait to see him! you are both going to be such great parents! he's lucly!

    all well here. aunt jenny arriving next Wed for a month! start radiation next week and she wanted to be here to drive and help. sweet of her. Jenny is here tonight from SF - she's coming down to see a Hanson concert tomorrow - know you like them!!

    take care and good luck with the delivery. will be checking for news!

    Love, Aunt Pat

    ReplyDelete