Sunday, July 11, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Dad is the big 6-0 now. What a swell looking "Birthday Princess"! We hosted his party, but everyone else made it fun! Thanks to Aunt B for bringing ladder golf and to Roger for the adult beverages :)

Bryan may have slaved away over the grill with his fingers crossed that he didn't burn our house down, but I slaved away (ok, not really slaved because I enjoyed every minute of it) over the desserts! In keeping with our "hula" theme, here's our son-of-a-beach cake:

I tried to combine dad's 3 favorite activities: fishing, notice the candy fish in the water, the fishing pole with a dental floss line - the only inedible part of the cake I might add, unless you count the foil wrappers on the coins - shelling, and metal detecting. There are little bits of "metal" all in the sand (silver sprinkles, silver sixlets candy, and coins buried), the rocks in the water are candy, and the shells are chocolate (I made them!). I know the coins vs. metal detector ratio is off, but it doesn't matter because dad loved the cake!

I love cupcakes, so I had to make a few:


And last but not least, our fruit tart:
Mmmm healthy dessert. Sort of. Ok, not. But at least it's pretty :)

All in all, a fun party! Sad day for this june bug though
. He got stuck in the wax for out citronella candle and it hardened around him. I feel bad that he had such a slow demise, however I think june bugs are extra gross so I don't feel as bad for it as I would if it were, say, a puppy.

Speaking of puppies, look how cute Bear looks in his strawberry:

:)

Also, don't forget to vote for my cupcake in the Duncan Hines contest! You can vote daily, and I need the extra support! http://wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/42530/voteable_entries/6051421?order=recency

Love!


No comments:

Post a Comment